Saturday, May 9, 2009

It's all in the name...

How we chose the name John Murphy Glynn...

"John":
Matt and I chose John to honor two very special men in our lives...Matt's Grandfather, John Osterkamp, and my Dad, Jonathan Quinn.

Grandpa Johnny has been, and always will be, Matt's hero and role model in life. The special bond the two of them share...their love of flying...is something that Matt has always cherished. Matt and I also admire Grandpa Johnny's dedication to his family. I often hear Matt make the remark that if he could create 1/2 the incredible family that Grandpa Johnny has created, Matt would consider our family a huge success!

John Murphy marks the 5th great-grandson for Grandpa Johnny -- a milestone Matt and I felt should be honored by having a namesake is this new, and quickly expanding, generation of young Osterkamps! We look forward to introducing Grandpa Johnny to this little one VERY soon!

My Dad is a dedicated family man that Matt and I greatly admire. As we embark on our own parenthood journey, we appreciate more and more everyday the calm demeanor with which my Dad has been able to maintain while raising 4 children. My Dad has the incredible ability to bring out the best in all of us simply because we would never want to let him down -- a quality that we both hope to emulate as we raise our own children. I greatly respect my Dad as a person, a father and a friend and feel honored to have a son carry on his name.

"Murphy":
We first stumbled upon the name Murphy while traveling in Ireland last June during the two weeks of leave Matt received after his deployment. Knowing that we hoped to be pregnant again in the upcoming year, I used this trip to seek out great Irish names for Baby #2. Time and time again, we would drive through a quaint Irish town with a pub named "Murphy's." I thought "Murphy Glynn" had a good ring...so the name made it to our short list to be tucked away for later.

As Matt and I decided on middle names, we ran them by JP to see if, at less than 2 years old, he could help us in picking out a great name to go with John. When we would ask JP if the baby in my belly was named "Johnny," he would reply, "Play Nurphy." (And trust me, I didn't practice this with him daily to win over Matt's heart...JP simply would not recognize the baby as anything other than "Nurphy.")

With JP's approval, we had our name -- John Murphy Glynn! In the past couple of days, we have gone back and forth about whether we would call this little one "Johnny" or "Murphy" -- without a doubt, this adorable little boy is definitely "Murphy." So, it is with great pleasure that we introduce you to, John Murphy Glynn, aka "Murphy!"





No comments:

Where in the World???